The Trinidad and Tobago Housing Development Corporation (HDC), which replaced the former National Housing Authority, is an Agency of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development and was established by Act No. 24 of 2005.
The HDC is managed by a Board of Directors and its functions include:-
- Provide quality affordable housing solutions for eligible first time homeowners, as well as ensure there are associated community facilities for their use;
- Stimulation of private sector activities with respect to home construction;
- Rationalizing and restructuring of its mortgage portfolio;
- Management and maintenance of its housing estates, and
- Acquisition of land for housing development.
To be internationally recognised as a leader in providing innovative and affordable services and housing solutions for citizens.
To expand the supply of affordable and quality rental and home-ownership opportunities, through building safe and attractive communities for the families it serves, thereby improving the quality of life for all residents.
- Committed to treating everyone with respect.
- Not willing to compromise the organization’s shared ethical standards and dedication to quality and excellence
- To provide affordable shelter and associated community facilities for low and middle-income persons;
- To implement the broad policy of the Government in relation to housing.
To continue to provide affordable housing opportunities for low and middle income households in Trinidad & Tobago in an environment which preserves personal dignity and in a manner which maintains public trust. Therefore, the HDC remains committed to:
- Increasing housing choices.
- Respect for citizens and employees.
- Excellence in management and operation.
- Construction Management
- Facilitation of Access to Mortgage financing
- Facilitation of Housing Construction
- Land Acquisition
- Land Development
- Property Management
- Research and Planning
The HDC fulfills its mandate through the Accelerated Housing programme, the umbrella for the Corporation’s construction programme. The Construction programme comprises three components: Infill Lots, Joint Venture and the Urban Housing programme.
- Infill Small contractors are utilised to construct new homes on available lots in existing HDC developments. In so doing, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development ensures that small contractors are able to participate in the Housing Programme and provides invaluable business experience for these micro companies.
- Joint Venture The Housing Development Corporation enters into joint venture partnerships with medium and large contractors to design and build new homes, and communities, across the country.
- Urban Housing The Urban Housing Programme envisages the revival of existing, large urban centres by improving and increasing the number of available housing units, upgrading commercial centres and providing necessary, attendant civic and social amenities.
New Towns on Green Field Sites
The Corporation is also providing affordable, accessible housing through the creation of sustainable self contained New Towns on Green Field sites across the country. These towns will provide residential units, services, employment opportunities recreational facilities and other civic amenities.
Housing Development Corporation
#44-46 South Quay
Fax (868) 627-6940
#2 Mc Gillvary Street
Mon Repos, San Fernando.
Trinidad, West Indies.
Cashier’s hours: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays