The Home Improvement Subsidy provides funding of up to TT$20,000 per beneficiary household, to assist families with needed home improvements. This subsidy will be issued on a matching basis (equal contribution by the beneficiary).
The procedure for the selection of beneficiaries will be as follows:
- The MHUD’s database of applicants for home improvement under the programme will be used to select beneficiaries. The subsidy will be used to undertake home repairs for an existing house. These include: expansion and renovations, with an emphasis on those renovations that provide maximum health and safety benefits, such as roofing, conversion of earthen or wooden floors to concrete, conversion of wooden structures to bricks, the addition of rooms, electrical works, plumbing and sanitary works.
To qualify for a home improvement subsidy, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
- The household income must not be above the threshold of TT$96,000 per annum and the applicant must sign an affidavit attesting to this fact.
- The applicant must be a citizen or legal resident of, and residing in, the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, and be at least 18 years old;
- The applicant or any other household member must not have benefitted from any subsidy from the MHUD or its agencies; and
- The applicant must be the owner of the property or have the legal permission to occupy the property. Consideration will be given to squatters who must be recipients of a Certificate of Comfort.