The Ministry’s focus continues to be on the provision of affordable housing solutions for low to middle-income groups and assistance to those needing to maintain and improve their present living conditions. However, there are times when, because of the uncertainties and unpredictability of life, disasters occur that destroy or seriously damage the homes of our most vulnerable citizens. To this end, the Ministry provides short-term assistance in the form of an emergency relief grant up to a maximum of $15,000 for persons who may find themselves at the mercy of such occurrences. This Emergency Shelter Relief Grant will provide some immediate assistance to those persons in repairing or constructing some kind of temporary shelter for their families.
Applicants must provide the following:
- Copy of National Identification or Birth Certificate
- Letter addressed to the Permanent Secretary, MHUD
- Photographs of damage (if possible) or copy of Damage Assessment Form from the Disaster Management Unit of the Corporation
- Evidence of property ownership eg Deed or Affidavit of Declaration
- Quotations from any hardware for repair materials