JOB TITLE: PROGRAMME DIRECTOR
The incumbent is required to manage and direct the activities of the Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Coordinating Unit of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (MHUD) and to render technical support and advice to the Permanent Secretary with respect to the management of project implementation and the monitoring and reporting activities of large scale and complex project(s) of the MHUD’s Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP); and oversight of the projects being executed by the respective Agencies.
REPORTS TO: Permanent Secretary
SUPERVISION GIVEN TO: Assistant Programme Director and Support Staff of the Unit
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Key Duties and Responsibilities
To advise and provide technical support to the Permanent Secretary in the management of project implementation and the monitoring and reporting activities of large scale and complex project(s) of the Ministry’s Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP).
- Provide leadership, management and oversight of projects funded by the Government, as well as external and international funding agencies.
- Supervision of processes to ensure compliance with Public Service and international funding agency procedures and guidelines.
- Develop tools and mechanism to aid in the coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Ministry’s programmes and projects and make recommendations to improve project execution.
- Ensuring that all the goals and objectives of the project(s) are accomplished within the prescribed timeline and budget.
- Reporting to management and responding to other stakeholders on project activities.
- Represent the Permanent Secretary at meetings with stakeholder where technical matters are being discussed.
- Consult and Collaborate with the Head of the Economic Research and Planning Unit of the Ministry in the planning and execution of PSIP projects.
- Evaluate the performance of projects against universal benchmarks and share lessons learnt or best practices.
- Facilitate quick and effective decision making through the timely provision of accurate reports and advice to the Permanent Secretary.
- Ensure consistency and coordination of activities to be undertaken by all other implementation agencies.
- Supervise and monitor the performance of all agencies according to the Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs) and in accordance with the highest standards of professional quality.
- Supervise and provide leadership to the unit of the Ministry and sure that it performs its functions efficiently and effectively in accordance with the highest professional standards while adhering to the principles of accountability, transparency and value for money.
- Extensive knowledge of project management practices and principles.
- Extensive knowledge of procurement best practices, procedures and principles.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the application of The International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) rules.
- Extensive knowledge of the processes applied in the management of the Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and co-ordinate the activities of a division.
- Skill in programme/project planning, co-ordination and implementation.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to analyse and evaluate projects and to devise effective methods of evaluation.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely and to prepare reports on programmes and projects evaluated.
- Ability to lead the project/programme implementation process and devise creative solutions to address problems encountered and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to lead and manage a programme of multiple interrelated projects, and to motivate Project Teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with project stakeholders, associates, other public service employees and the public.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a Bachelor’s degree in one of the Social Sciences, or Engineering, or in a related field from a recognized University.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in the area of project management.
- Experience in the management of large scale complex projects funded by international funding agencies.