Home Improvement Grant Programme
The Home Improvement Grant (HIG) Programme forms part of Government’s holistic housing plan. Under this programme, the Ministry would provide a maximum of $15,000 to qualifying applicants to carry out approved repair/improvement works.
Approved Repair works
Approved repair works include (but are not limited to):
- Roof and ceiling repairs;
- Electrical works;
- Plumbing works including installation of indoor toilet and bath;
- Improved facilities for persons with disabilities;
- Additions, upgrades and adaption of space to ease overcrowding;
- Replacement of damaged floors, doors, cupboards and windows;
- Other works deemed critical to maintaining the integrity of the structure.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be a resident citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, and be 21 years and over;
- Have a monthly household income which does not exceed $5,000;
- Have legal tenure to occupy property requiring repairs.
- The applicant must be able to show a deed or certificate of title in their name; or, where the land is jointly owned, the applicant must show a signed letter of consent from the co-owner of the land along with valid identification;
- Should the land be rented, the applicant must show consecutive rent receipts in his/her name for a period of no less than three years;
- Should the land on which the structure exists is not owned or rented, the applicant has to show written permission from the owner of the property along with a copy of the deed or certificate of title in the owner(s) name, accompanied by a copy of the owner’s identification card;
- If squatting, the applicant must submit a Certificate of Comfort accompanied by a letter of non-objection from the Land Settlement Agency.
- Not have benefitted from a similar home improvement programme administered by the Ministry;
- All applications are entered into the Ministry’s database and a random draw is used to select prospective applicants;
- Successful applicants are invited to attend an assessment interview to determine the veracity of their application;
- Supporting documents and a detailed estimate of the cost of repairs will be required;
- Applicants who are incapacitated, can make a request for interviews to be conducted at the applicant’s home or curbside at the Ministry’s office.
- A technical officer of the Ministry will visit the applicant’s premises throughout the process to ensure the approved work is being done in accordance with a legally signed Agreement;
- Funds will be disbursed in two (2) tranches, 50% on commencement and 50% when half of the repairs have been satisfactorily completed.
Click here to download application form
Where to Apply
Citizens can submit their completed applications to the following offices:
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
#44-46 South Quay, Port of Spain
1(868) 623-HOME (4663) ext: 2188/2075/2054
Fax: (868) 625-8182
The Housing Development Corporation
Mc Gillvary Street, Mon Repos, San Fernando
The Sugar Industry Labour Welfare Committee (SILWC) Offices
Cor. Dove and Balisier Avenue,
Corner Rushworth Street & Independence Square,
All TTConnect Kiosks and Mobile Units