The Home Improvement Subsidy Programme provides successful applicants with a matching subsidy of up to $20,000 to carry out approved home repairs/refurbishment work.
The list of approved works include but are not limited to the following:
- Conversion of wooden structures to concrete structures
- Plumbing works
- Bedroom and kitchen cupboards
- Addition or upgrade of indoor bathroom and toilet facilities
- Installation of burglar proofing, doors and windows for enhanced security
- Roof and ceiling works
- Conversion of earthen floors to concrete
- Electrical works
- Addition, upgrade and adaption of room to ease overcrowding
- Improved facilities for the disabled
- Other works deemed critical to home improvement
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a citizen or legal resident of Trinidad and Tobago, residing in Trinidad and Tobago;
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old;
- Have a monthly household income which does not exceed $7,000;
- Provide proof of ownership or that he/she has consent to occupy the property.
Consideration will be given to squatters who are in possession of a Certificate of Comfort on a regularised site or be a beneficiary of the First National Settlements Programme (Project Execution Unit). In this regard, applicants will be required to produce a Letter of Consent from the Land Settlement Agency granting permission to effect the repairs.
- Not have benefitted from a similar home improvement programme administered by the Ministry;
- All applications are entered into the Ministry’s database and a random draw is used to select prospective beneficiaries.
- Successful applicants will be invited to attend an assessment interview to determine the veracity of their application.
- Supporting documents specific to the selected programme will be required
- A technical officer of the Ministry will monitor works to be undertaken to ensure there is strict adherence to the signed agreement and will authorize the disbursement of funds in tranches.
Programme Monitoring and Coordinating Unit (PMCU)
Level 3-4, JOBCO Building,
51-55 Frederick Street,
Port of Spain.
Tel: 1(868) 623-4663 ext. 2170/2288/2284/2258/2232
Fax: 1(868) 624-9664