Minister Robinson-Regis states that Private Sector is Key in Fight against Crime
April 19, 2023
Private Sector – Key in fight against Crime
The Honourable Camille Robinson-Regis, Minister of Housing and Urban Development and Chair of the Inter-Ministerial Committee with oversight of the recently concluded Regional Symposium on ‘Violence as a Public Health Issue – the Crime Challenge’, noted with some concern a claim that the Private Sector was left out of the discussions during the Symposium. Minister Robinson-Regis stated that, “Nothing could be further from the truth”. The Minister further emphasized that, “the Private Sector is among the civil society actors that are key to successfully tackling the issue of violence and crime in Trinidad and Tobago, and in the wider Caribbean Community (CARICOM).”
As such, a session on Day 2 of the Regional Symposium was dedicated to, ‘The Private Sector Perspective’, with presentations by the CARICOM Private Sector Organisation (CPSO) and the Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce (TTCIC). Both entities put forward sound recommendations on behalf of their membership. Additionally, the CPSO and the TTCIC gave an undertaking that nationally and regionally, the Private Sector will play its part in support of CARICOM Member States’ commitment to reducing crime and violence in each country.
Among the local Private Sector representatives invited to attend the Regional Symposium were:
• The Energy Chamber of Trinidad and Tobago
• Trinidad and Tobago Coalition of Services Industries;
• Downtown Owners and Merchants Association;
• Association of Trinidad and Tobago Insurance Companies;
• The Bankers Association of Trinidad and Tobago;
• Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce;
• Trinidad and Tobago Chamber of Industry and Commerce (Tobago Division);
• Trinidad and Tobago Manufacturers’ Association;
• American Chamber of Commerce of Trinidad and Tobago (AMCHAM T&T); and
• British Caribbean Chamber of Commerce.
The CPSO represents the Private Sector in all CARICOM countries.The Symposium was streamed live with the opportunity for the public to send in questions or comments.